Thursday 24 December 2015

ALABA MARKET CAN'T SHAPE MY MUSIC


Winner of the MEGA New Artiste of the Year, Rita Alakija, speaks on Gospel music and market forces, AKEEM LASISI writes

For Rita Alakija, 2015 has been a fruitful year. From her musical career to charity work, the artiste, otherwise called Aimee, says her steps have been crowned all through, a situation that makes her to approach the coming year with a lot of hope.

The biggest treat came to her a few months ago when she won two awards at the Music and Entertainment Gospel Awards, founded by media boss, Femi Akintunde-Johnson, to give gospel artistes a platform to project their works and talents. Aimee won Music Video of the Year (with Soldier of the Cross) and New Artiste of the Year (with So Grateful).

She says the laurels have further invigorated her especially because she is doing gospel music the way her spirit and talent direct her, not as market forces do.

The former broadcaster says, ‘I was surprised when I won the awards, I just went to have a great day in the presence of the Lord. That is why I am very grateful to Him while appreciating the organisers too. I am ready to press forward and I have challenged myself to do better than ever.

“When I came out with my type of gospel songs, many people were asking: ‘What kind of music is this?’ But I was determined not to make Alaba guys shape my music by telling me, ‘This is what the market wants’. I pursue what makes me stand out. So, the awards are like an endorsement that has further given me faith in what I do. I thank MEGA for giving me the platform and for giving others the opportunity to showcase their talents.”

Aimee is not in a hurry to push out more videos or albums as she does not want the feat to get into her head. As she is steadily cooking more works, she is mentoring some folks and reaching out to the less-privileged.

Her words, “I am trusting God for shaping me. I can’t shape myself. I want to do what God wants me to do. We should all bear in mind that one man’s thrash is another person’s treasure. That is the lesson of this season. We need to impact the society, the youths in particular. You don’t have to be a millionaire to impact. As a life coach, I want others to be good and better. In the process, I also make myself better.”

Generally, she believes Nigerians have cause to thank God. According to her, the fact that the country survived Ebola not too long ago, and the fact that the last elections were successfully concluded means that it is destined for greatness. She says if there is any song that should occupy the mind of everyone now, it is that of peace.

Aimee is an artiste who has experienced peculiar vicissitudes. She produced her first album when she was very sick, while the second came after what she calls a near-death experience.

“So, all the songs in the winning album are about being so grateful,” she says.

No comments:

Post a Comment