Saturday 9 January 2016

MUSIC HAS BOUGHT ME OUT OF DARK SITUASITUAT

Fast rising singer, Ernest Oyakhilome, popularly known as EY, tells Saturday Beats about his budding career

You have the same surname as Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, are you related to him?

We are not related in any way but I think we are from the same village. Whenever people hear my name, some immediately assume we are related and I find it quite hilarious.

When did you begin your music career?

I have been singing since I was about 14 years old but I decided to make it a career about four years ago. I decided to go fully into music because I saw it as an escape route in life. Music got me out of some bad situations and experiences in my life. I have something in me which I feel I should share with the world and that is my music talent. I have been given a talent by God and I feel that it would be wrong if I do not show the world what God has deposited in me. When people hear my songs they get inspired, the same way other people’s songs inspire me.

What do you mean when you said music is an escape route for you?

While growing up, there were a lot of times I was sad and very downcast but whenever I listened to music, my spirit was always lifted up. Music made me forget my sorrows and it inspired me to move past that state of unhappiness.

I am from a broken home and I was very young when my parents parted ways. I grew up without my mother and I was raised by another woman. I really do not want to go into details but all through that period, music was what sustained my brothers and I. Music has brought me out of dark situations and trying times. I love my family a lot and I have three brothers. All my brothers can play different instruments and music unified us while we were growing up.

Were any of your parents into music?

No, none of my parents were into music but my father loves music. One of my early influences in life was Michael Jackson and I got to know about him through my father.

Did your parents ever kick against your decision to become a singer?

None of them raised an eyebrow. They both supported my dream. The day my mother found out that I was a singer; she was very ecstatic and happy about it. She also knows my producer, XO, so she knows that I am in very good hands. My father is currently in the US and he is happy about my career.

How about schooling?

I am a graduate of the University of Ado Ekiti, now Ekiti State University, and I studied Business Administration.

Why are you opting for music instead of a white collar job?

Music is a gift and to me; it is more of a calling than a career. I have a passion for music. A white collar job is good but I want to do music because I have a passion for it. My elder brother is actually an engineer in the US but that is the path he chose for himself. Even while I was in school, I always knew that I would end up becoming a musician.

I went to school to acquire the basic knowledge that would be useful when I become a success in life. It never occurred to me to drop out of school because of music. Music has always been my love and I surrounded myself with friends that loved music as much as I do.

What have been the major challenges you have faced in your career?

There have been a number of times when I wanted to quit but the passion I have for music keeps motivating me. The major challenge in this kind of business is finance. You need money to break through in this industry especially if you do not have a record label. Also, you cannot make a hit song and relax. There are a lot of people itching to be at the top so you have to constantly keep working and thinking outside the box if you want to be a contender in the industry.

What makes you different from other fast rising acts in Nigeria?

I have been able to carve a niche for myself with the kind of songs I sing. I make sure that every song I release has a message. My songs are the kind that you can dance to and can be aired on radio because they have meaningful messages. It is good to make a hit song for the clubs but I am very sensitive when it comes to the lyrics of my songs. The content of my songs is always good and it inspires people in tough situations in life. It also encourages people.

Do you think you can compete with other singers who have found fame with songs that have good beats but lack content?

If music with good lyrics and beats made waves in the past, trust me, it would make waves again or we would probably do better.

Are you in a relationship?

I am single but not searching because I want to face music squarely without any distractions. I have had some nice people in my life like any other person on earth; I have had people who have made me happy and those that have made me sad over the years. It is not about one girl.

If music does not work for you would you opt for a white collar job?

It is possible. One of my songs is titled, Never Say Never, and that is my philosophy of life. I could wake up one morning, dust my certificate and opt for a white collar job. But that does not mean that I would embark on such action because my music career failed. I don’t believe a person can be passionate about music as much as I am and fail in becoming a success.

Which Nigerian artiste do you have a crush on?

I don’t have a crush on any lady in the industry right now. All our Nigerian female musicians are very beautiful, all of them but Seyi Shay is very cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment